Friday, June 27, 2008

What's in a name?

Today a friend I trust suggested that I start a blog. She told me it would offer me a place to put my writing which is now in a dozen notebooks scattered all over my house. She told me it would afford me a sense of "deadline" so that I would be accountable to write regularly. She told me it might bring me feedback -- if anyone found it -- and that is something I would genuinely value. So here I am, following my friend's advice and starting a blog.

Getting started has some logistic requirements including naming the blog.
You might wonder, "how hard can that be? " And truly, it's not that hard except that my brain doesn't function that well 22 hours into the day (perhaps this could have waited 'til tomorrow?).

And what does the name Pilled Higher & Deeper suggest?
Unless you have a PhD (or love someone who does) it probably doesn't mean anything to you. So, allow me to let you in on the joke.
BS -- you know what that stands for
MS -- well, that's more of the same
and thus PhD comes to mean: Pilled Higher & Deeper
Those of us with "terminal" degrees use this joke to remember not to take ourselves too seriously -- after all, a terminal degree doesn't have to be a death sentence.

So, there! I've created my opening paragraphs and begun to blog.
If you've stumbled onto my whereabouts here in the blogosphere, come back and visit.

My goal is to speak my mind, speak the truth, provoke some conversation, controversy and maybe even conflict. This ought to be fun!

Stay tuned!

No comments: